Wednesday, October 3, 2007

You don't have a house yet?

You don't have a car yet? You didn't get your license yet? These are the questions we are asked on average once an hour. I am not sure if that is like a cultural "how are you" or the British "you alright"? We don't have any of these things because we got here 4 days ago and we don't even have a visa yet, something you need to do any of these things so just trying to be cool about it all, in due time we will have all of these things! Our estate agent just canceled our appointments today so now I am phoning many more and trying to get to see as many apartments and villas as possible. It is difficult because just last night we found out Chris will be traveling a lot so now it is less important to be close to his office and more important that I can have a dog and a community...a lot to think of but it will all work out. I have made a few friends or whatever you call people you have known for one or two days! A Dutch woman, B chatted to me in the hotel and took me in her car to show me around the city a bit and see what her villa was like. It was very nice but the community seemed isolated. Yesterday I went to an expat women's coffee thing and met some very nice women, mostly older, non-working women but one girl my age from London and she has been helpful. It is a young city but I just haven't found any couples like us yet but then again it has only been 4 days! Things are moving slow in some areas of life because of Ramadan and it can be difficult to forage for food during the day. Chris is so lucky because he gets fed at work! I am off to the mall again right now because they sold me a SIM card for my cell phone with someone else's stuff on it so now I have to start over I think. I never thought I would spend so much time at malls but that is where everything is! We are hoping to look at some apartments on the beach today but they may not allow dogs so that is a downside....the upside obviously being the beach...until later!

No comments: