Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ended my day in Twi

Tonight I joined Christos and Marc downstairs while they ate Italian food and saw our friend Micheal, the Nigerian man raised in Ghana. He is the head of security here at the hotel and every time he sees me he tests my Twi (the language Chris and I spoke in Ghana). I think he is still shocked every time I say something back. It has been a long time so my Twi is reduced to pathetic pleasantries but it still feels nice. I should just go to bed now but I can't stop thinking about our shipping container from the US. We found out that it still hasn't left the US even though we had an arrival date for tomorrow here in Dubai! Customs blessed us with their "special" search and now it will be at least a month before we see our things. I hadn't really stopped to think about some of the logistics involved with the shipping container until this week. I already have towels, flatware, dishes, pots and pans etc... I don't want to buy more but can't really live without cooking in our apartment for that long...or showering for that matter. Anyway, we will figure it out. Today my friend Bea took me to Al Karama, a market in an older part of Dubai (like 10 years old maybe?) . This is where all the knock offs can be found. I did not buy any purses but was tempted by the craftsmanship...I did buy some new colors of Pashminas- they are only 3 dollars here and so very useful with all the AC. After shopping I went to Bea's for dinner. It was nice to have something outside or a restaurant for a change!
Chris and I got invited to watch the Rugby world cup with some English friends that I met so I am impressed that I am working the sports network for him. Unfortunately, Chris won't be here for the match since he will be flying out again on Saturday. Tomorrow I need to work on my visa, find the form for an alcohol license so that we may keep alcohol in our home and hopefully also get the keys to our apartment. I am so excited to have an apartment but I was hoping to have some furniture/comforts of home a bit sooner. Oh well. Sorry no pictures today, I was lazy. I have some old ones but the computer is slow tonight so it will have to wait.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Hi Chris and Kirsten,
I'm enjoying your adventure - so far I've read the most recent blogs - Why are goods in such short supply?
Rob and I are heading for California on Saturday to see Linda and Bob.
Love
Suzanne