Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I don't know

A lot of people have been asking why goods are in such short supply...the answer is I have no clue. My first answer was that they just can't keep up with the masses of people that keep moving here. Then I found out it was even worse a few months ago-some people waited 3 months for appliances so who knows? It could be worse. We were lucky to get all of our necessities right away, of course we didn't wait around for the bargains.

Today I was planning on working on that liquor license and my visa. Neither got done since the person who does the visas is out this week (reminds me of Ghana) and before I could get out to the mall (where of course a liquor license can be obtained) a friend invited me to lunch and I couldn't say no. We went to a super fancy hotel that has touristy souks (Arabian markets) and nice restaurants. It was the company that was the best part. This friend is someone I met briefly at a coffee morning and she lives across from JBR (where we are moving to- Jumeriah beach residences). Our friend Christos thinks we should start a reality show about it since masses of people are moving there now and there are some glitches with the design of the buildings (no one is sure where the gyms are going...or how to fit the appliances into the too small spaces) Anyway, my lunch companion showed me the bus system in Dubai which I didn't even know existed and enthralled me with her life story. She was born in SE Asia to parents from Saudi Arabia and she escaped an arranged marriage at the age of 16 because she felt that she was still a child and that the traditional life was not for her. As a consequence she has not seen her parents for 40 years but she is going back soon to see them. In the same conversation she also had a lot of positive things to say about the traditional dress here (dishdash for men and abaya for women). She thinks they are beautiful, exotic and that modesty is a seriously underrated virtue. But she wears whatever she wants. Everyday is another persons perspective and it is always interesting. Tonight I went to the gym and for the first time I didn't cover up on the way there, everyone tells me it is fine to wear whatever you want if you are western but most of the time I cover my shoulders and knees. It was especially respectful during Ramadan. So tonight, wouldn't you know it my key didn't work when I got back from the gym and I was forced to go to the front desk in the main lobby in my skimpy workout gear. I waited a while for the elevator to come and when it opened it was my worst nightmare, I am in skimpy clothes and it is a husband and wife in a dishdash, abaya and sheyla (headscarf). The wife's abaya was of the latest fashion here. I like to call it bedazzled. It had pink swarovski crystals embroidered on the sleeves and hemlines. They are beautiful in a sparkly kind of way. Back to the elevator... you know it is OK for them to be in their clothes and you to be in yours but you can't help feeling a little under dressed for the occasion...so I found myself apologising and explaining my situation. They couldn't have been any nicer or understanding. Turns out they lived in America for university and were so warm and conversational about the US. After the key fiasco I returned to my room, got ready for dinner and enjoyed an outdoor Lebanese feast with 3 new girlfriends from England, America and Canada. Another day in Dubai....

No comments: