Sunday, October 28, 2007

Love is my religion



On Friday Chris, Christos, Marc and I literally crossed the street for an outdoor concert and saw Ziggy Marley and Kayne West perform. It was amazing! I am in love again with reggae music! I also have a new respect and appreciation for Kanye West, I like a couple songs before but he is truly remarkable. His energy was contagious. It was really amazing how organized, clean and mellow the festival was. It was also great to see so many families out and about, we saw an African family dancing with a baby that must have only been a few weeks old at 11pm to Kayne West. I love living someplace where all ages go to the same places and there is something for everyone. They had play areas for toddlers and teenagers there. The other fun part was seeing all the teenagers of Dubai out and about in their trendy clothes. There was of course letters to the editor the next day complaining about parents letting their tweens prance around in skimpy clothing in public in a Muslim country. I have to admit I do remember some ridiculous outfits of my middle school days but clothes have gotten rather risque for young girls lately but things always look shocking when you are in a more modest society. I clearly recall Liz and I wearing matching off the shoulder ruffled white midriff tops to a carnival once and her parents just laughing at us- I can't imagine not realizing we looked stupid but I guess that is youth for you.
Chris is of course gone again and I am hoping to get a lot done this week but I am still waiting on my visa which rules out anything that involves a passport. I would like to make decisions about painting the apartment, a dining room table and buy some of the smaller appliances we need right away (like an iron) but I want to run by the bigger decisions by him so I will wait until he comes back. I am waiting on the smaller appliances until I have a big block of time because you never know how long it will take but today I have to help a student again so I don't want to be late. Anyway, I am also waiting on a phone call to let me know when I am tutoring a famous singer here. Again, another connection through our real estate agent. I am about to have lunch with Hanne; half of a couple Chris and I met over the weekend. Her husband is from Chile and she is from Finland. They have lived quite a few places around the world and her husband works with Chris. They are the first couple we have met and they are going to live near us too. This weekend we are also going out on the Palm to meet a friend of my brother's for a drink. Chris and I met her sister over the summer so we finally get to meet her on Thursday. We were also invited there for Thanksgiving which is great because we still won't have our stuff by then so that rules out me cooking a T-day feast! I still wish I could be home at Uncle Bruce's for Thanksgiving. I love traveling and living abroad but Thanksgiving is the one day I only want to be in the US for, it is just not the same anywhere else. We did have some nice ones in Ghana though so I am sure this one will also be memorable!
I got to talk to Lauren, Pattie and Bob last night which was so nice- they are all coming here for Christmas so we are so lucky!
Well, I think that is about all that is new. I read some posts last night about some labor disputes going on in other parts of the city and it just makes me so sad that there doesn't seem to be anything going on or any international pressure to raise wages or improve conditions. I found a website that collects care packages for workers here in the camps but there has to be more that can be done?

No comments: