Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Working already





The American University in Sharjah during a dust storm today. Unexpectedly, I ended up traveling to another Emirate today, tutoring an Emirate college student trying to help her with her presentation on the duality of the enlightenment and it's effects on architecture. I was up pretty late last night brushing up on that topic! It was a great connection for future jobs so I didn't want to turn it down but hopefully next time I will have more notice (and a topic I am more knowledgeable of ).

So I will not talk about the weather ever again on this thing. On Monday I wrote that the weather was quite nice because it was not humid at all. In fact I was wondering when this so called humid weather would start. Well, Tuesday it did. It was as if you were taking a shower when you stepped outside. People with glasses were complaining that they were foggy all day. I think my contacts got foggy at one point. Of course it was the day I did laundry and had to hang it outside so it was all still sort of wet and probably still is. Then on Wednesday we had a dust storm which would have been even worse for the laundry. I speculated that they might be exotic and interesting. It was quite beautiful to watch the palm trees sway in the wind and have the landscape a bit blurred. The light was unique because desert sun doesn't get filtered through much so it is harsh and without shadows. This changed it...but it also blew sand in your face. Yesterday after my morning of work I relaxed until Chris got home. A driver was sent for me yesterday from Sharjah at 7:30 am to help this student with her 12:30 presentation and then I was driven back to Dubai. I got back here around 2:30 and looked online for some used appliances for the apartment. The problem is that no one posts pictures or dimensions or how old it is so we decided to just buy them new because the price difference is so small between used and new. I got a little excited thinking I could actually pick out what I wanted but we went shopping with Marc last night for his and to do price comparisons for things we want and realized it is not going to be easy. First of all we need electric appliances (apt rule) and there are very few electric stoves in this country. Then if something looks nice, is a good brand and is a good price every store is sold out until November. I thought that when I would be able to buy these kinds of things I could go to one store, pick them out and have them delivered. Obviously that was a daydream. Today I will got look at a couple other stores and see what is available and hopefully start ordering. I found out yesterday that Chris has a work meeting next month on the Red Sea in Egypt and I get to go! I am so excited. We are close to so many destinations, I can't wait to start taking some weekend trips once we are settled. The paperwork went through yesterday with our apartment so hopefully we will be able to move in sometime around the 20th. Our things are still on their way by sea but we hope they will get here soon

No comments: