Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bur Dubai


Bur Dubai is an older part of the city on the creek. It has cheaper rents and the hustle and bustle reminded me of parts of New York or London. We had dinner there over the weekend and then walked around...which is a rare treat in Dubai! There were actual sidewalks since this part of Dubai is much older and not under constant construction. We wandered around the souks admiring the beautiful saris, the aromatic street food and the plethora of vendors selling gold, electronics, fake purses and all kinds of things no one really needs. There weren't prices on anything, it was dirty, grungy, loud, bright, gaudy and we loved it- it was a nice change from the brand new construction zone we have been living in! We went here on Friday night so that Chris could have a fun night out and explore more of Dubai. Since he is gone during the week he doesn't get to explore as much as I do. On Saturday we both spent the day running in opposite directions trying to get things done before he left again. He went to get a new phone and get the liquor license and I spent yet another day waiting for a delivery. I only got to run back to the hotel and say goodbye to him before he left again. This week he will be back on Wednesday so it is better than last week. Last night I finally got skype hooked up and it has been so nice to catch up with people and hear their voices. I was very excited to hear about the Red Sox and their big win last night. I just hope they can do the same tonight! I wish I could watch it but I would have to stay up all night and just watch updates on the computer, there isn't any station that plays it. Today I met a woman (Becky)who also just moved here from Chicago and had a great day visiting and showing her our apartment while waiting for yet another delievery. Becky and I also had a terrifying taxi experience today, I won't write about it because I know everyone will just worry but it was a good lesson in how much you have to pay attention, even if you are not driving! I have two days off from waiting for any deliveries which will be nice. I am off to work out now and then have dinner with Chris's coworker, Christos who also still lives in the hotel.

No comments: