Sunday, October 7, 2007

The epic housing search


I guess we have only been here a week but I was hoping to have a home sorted out before Chris left tonight for Saudi. He will be gone for a few days and when he gets back it will be Eid - the official end of Ramadan so everything will shut down for a few days. It stands for Eid-Al-Fitr and it is a three-day celebration. We had a low key weekend. Today is Sunday and things are back to work around here. It will take a while to get used to Sunday being Monday. This weekend we checked out a couple more roof top bars, watched the Rugby World Cup, looked at apartments and villas,relaxed and caught up on sleep. Yesterday we rushed back to the hotel after apt viewings to grab the lunch buffet because we were so hungry since you can't eat in public or find anything to eat for that matter. We bumped into my dutch friend, B and her husband in the lobby. They were also having lunch at our hotel. Hotels are really the only places to eat during the day. We joined them and get this for a small world- B's husband was also a candidate for the job Chris interviewed for in Mustique (the tiny island). Pretty crazy that there were about 20 people in the world involved in that job search and I had lunch with two of them. Anyway, we had our hearts set on this amazing apartment that I can't even talk about because I don't think we are taking it. We were all set to sign and the landlord changed his mind on the price! I am waiting for another estate agent to call me back and take me to some more places but I am already sick of looking! I am going to run a couple of errands and get Chris ready for his trip. The estate agent just called and said no for more viewings today so now I have to start calling again. This is so much fun! Also on my list of fun things to do today is find a great brunch reservation for the start of Eid- they are meant to be the most amazing meals! Even the Iftar meals that we have been to that break the fast each day of Ramadan are breathtaking. The one we went to was the size of a huge banquet hall and each wall was filled with beautiful arrangements of food from salads, to lentil soups, meats, breads, cheeses, fruits, sauces etc. I can't even imagine what the "special" one will be like! I only wish I could eat as much as I want to at these events.

1 comment:

Casey Swemba said...

Chris and Kirsten-
I didn't get to see you guys in Toledo before you left, so I just wanted to say good luck. It looks like you are doing fine. Thanks for keeping us informed on the blog. We are reading.

-Swemba