Sunday, October 7, 2007

The weather

A word on the weather, a subject I have neglected entirely despite various inquiries. It is sunny and hot everyday. The sun sets around 6:30ish and then it is considerably cooler. It is really nice to sit outside at night, especially on a rooftop. So far I think it is a very dry heat and it is not unbearable. Would I run in it? No. Unfortunately you can not walk anywhere here- the roads were built around the businesses quickly and not made with walkers in mind. There is round about or rotary every half mile....at least. So I am outside very little BUT by the end of the month the weather will drop to very comfortable temperatures in the 70s and 80s and you can actually do things outside for most of the year. So, as I suspected it is a lot like Arizona. If I did not have AC my position on this matter might be less optimistic and I would be sweaty, red and feel like I was in Peace Corps again. I have heard that also with the cooler weather comes some rain which floods everything since it is so dry and flat. I have also heard that there are dust storms from time to time which sound very exotic and exciting but are probably not pleasant at all. I just changed my weather profile from Chicago to Dubai and was surprised that it is still quite hot there. I probably shouldn't have actually looked at a weather report. It looks like it will be around 100-102 degrees this week with a full, shining sun everyday. The sunshine is nice though! Last night I saw Chris off to the airport and then had Thai food with one of his colleagues. Chris doesn't love Thai food so I always get it when he is out of town. Afterwards we checked out his apartment on the beach and then headed back to our hotel for some lemon shiha (another new flavor) and then I went to bed exhausted after another day of apartment hunting. The good news is that I think we found something, Chris is coming home early tonight and I think he will be able to see it with me and we can make a sound decision. The bad news...someone might take it by then! Nothing much else to say. I am waiting for someone to come and pick up our laundry, waiting for a real estate agent to call me back waiting, waiting, waiting...I hope to have some pictures up but as of now I am always alone or it is just Chris and I and that is a bit boring for pictures. I haven't had much time to go sightseeing but I have a long list of things to do once all of this searching is over. Another great thing is I met someone who is moving out of country from a three bedroom and wants to sell all of their things so I might score a lot of barely used appliances. This same person was also a private art history tutor for university students here and is going to connect me with the right people. Apparently Emirate students will come to our apartment (once we have one) and pay me good money to help them write essays. Sounds good to me. I also met someone who works in movies and commercials here who said they are always looking for help with logistics, extras etc. so that might be fun as well! But first the apartment....

1 comment:

deb,pete and kids said...

Hi Kirsten,
We've enjoyed reading about your adventures. The apartment hunting sounds exhausting. We are all well-the kids busy with soccer and school. Peter and I just got back from hiking in the presidentials- we hiked Mt Jefferson and Mt Adams in one day. Was I sore! Of course, Peter was fine- he enjoyed laughing at me the next day as I was limping around. Looking forward to hearing your next blog!