Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Another day...another mall





This is a man made scene of traditional Bedouin (desert dweller) culture. The figures and camels actually move and guess where I saw it? At the mall of course. My friend B took me to the Ikea at yet another mall to get a catalogue so I can later order a few pieces from there if I choose too. She also wanted to see if they had any of their wonderful, frozen imported Swedish meatballs in yet but they are still sold out. Everything at Ikea is also on back order for at least a month so I am glad we have the staples coming from the US. I also found out there are some wonderful furniture makers who can copy from the US furniture catalogues so that might be fun as well. I don't plan on furnishing from only one store but Ikea is certainly easy. It is possible to find amazing Turkish style rugs and lots of other unique things at great prices but it is in a whole other part of town from the malls! Once we get a car that will be fun to explore.

I just realized today that some people have been leaving comments for me on the blog and I didn't know it so sorry I haven't responded. The notes from family about the fall are very much appreciated. Keep them coming... So are the baseball reports. We are following it but you forget about it sometimes because it isn't big news here. I was very excited to hear about the Yankee's misfortune last night!


Last night I had dinner with some new friends, some from England and some from the US. It is nice to meet people here who are not as new as me and know a lot of answers to my questions. Chris got home early from Saudi last night and has been busy working on his new project and getting our apartment paperwork settled. He loves what he is doing and the people he is working with so we are very happy! I am hoping he will get home before dusk because there is an amazing pool on the roof of this hotel that has waterfalls over it and an amazing view of the city. I only discovered it yesterday!

Thanks for reading. The blog is motivating me to write everything done each day which will help me remember everything.

4 comments:

Matt Sattler said...

Congrats on the apartment, living on the beach will be awesome. I will think of you this winter when Melissa and I are looking out over the frozen Maumee.

Adam said...

Hey Kirsten,

Glad to hear you found a place, ironically the weather in Chicago has probably been close to yours in Dubai. They had to cancel the marathon yesterday because the city ran out of resources to treat everyone with heat stroke. Best of luck settling in.

Adam

melissa said...

Hi!
I am (predictably) addicited to your blog, celebrity style. Congrats on getting an apartment – I can't wait to see more photos! I'm so glad everythign seems to be falling into place and you guys are having fun! Hi to Chris and I'll talk to you soon!

Melissa

Unknown said...

congratulations on your beach side abode

When you mention "another mall" it makes me wonder what is around this growing "new" city. I guess you'll find out more about that later on.

Bruce