Thursday, October 18, 2007

20 things I've learned today


1)That the man in this picture (Sheikh Mohammed for short) has an elaborate website http://www.sheikhmohammed.co.ae/ and that besides being the ruler of Dubai, the Prime Minister and VP of UAE he is also a poet. Check it out. I am embarassed to say I am not 100% sure who the guy on the right is. I will find out.
2) There is a bus system in Dubai. It is cheap but follows no schedule, route, set price or logic that I can figure out yet. There are separate seats for women and men.
3) Five minutes might mean 7 hours for a delivery time.
4) An empty tub is not a horrible place to spend those seven hours reading British tabloids.
5) British tabloids are not that exciting when you don't know who anyone is or why they are famous.
6) David Beckham has a squeaky child like voice according to my friend Emma who works in fashion and met him once.
7) English people are embarrassed of Victoria Beckham, aka Posh Spice (also according to Emma), really embarassed
8) The security people at our new building are very, very nice and helpful and it is truly sad how little money they get paid and heartbreaking that many of them go two years without seeing their families.
9) There is a full time lifeguard at our pool from 6am-10pm. He smokes and drinks redbull next to his post.
10) There is a sign of rules posted next to him. I saw every person breaking every single rule on the sign.
11) It is really safe here and I am glad we ended up in this city instead of Johannesburg. My new friend from SA had her old, beat up car stolen while she was getting her haircut there.
12) Taxi drivers often don't know where they are going and take you really far out of your way. I am actually learning my way around and can direct them now. It is time for me to get a car!
13) Our building is a mile (and three stoplights) from the closest u-turn so we will always have to drive a a mile in the wrong direction to leave...funny!
14) The beach looks beautiful from our new bedroom. When I wasn't busy laying in an empty tub today I watched people water ski and para sail.
15) You can see part of Palm Jumeriah from our bedroom.
16) Palm Jumeriah is creating artificial reefs along the shore that will make sea life very exciting.
17)I was told they are filming a commerical, movie or a concert outside our hotel tonight and it is full of film crew people and spotlights...very glamorous.
18) People work a lot here. I just saw a man typing emails, talking on the phone and riding the stationary bike in the gym.
19) People do other strange things at the gym. I saw a girl sitting on her boyfriend/husbands lap while he was lifting weights yesterday.
20) Our landlord is from Jordan. He paid 660,000 dh for our apartment (approx 183,000 dollars for a beach front 3 bedroom apartment) and we just gave him a check yesterday for 150,000 dh for a year's rent.

No comments: