Saturday, May 3, 2008

Relaxing weekend

Just a little update on daily life around here...Chris and I were super lazy yesterday, we ventured out onto the hot and breezy beach in the morning for a long swim in the big yet gentle and rolling waves. Then we walked to the Sheraton wharf end of the beach and swam in the waveless cove. We spent the rest of the day napping, reading and relaxing. In the evening we walked (YES WALKED) across an unopened bridge to the other side of the Marina for a big pool party hosted by our latin friends in honor of Andres's birthday and May day. It was nice to catch up with our friends, meet some new ones and enjoy what is left of the perfectly warm nights. There was a jacuzzi full of lukewarm water which is perfect for a pregnant person so we enjoyed that as well.

I had an exciting week at work last week. I got to go and cover the Christie's auction here in Dubai and see many famous pieces of artwork up close. There were some Warhols and the big LOVE sculpture by Robert Indiana. Most of the works up for auction were modern middle eastern pieces and they were amazing. Several Iranian pieces broke world records (go figure -so Dubai) and it was quite something to see a piece of art work being argued over and finally sell for almost 3 million dollars! Other than work I have been busy cultivating a new social life with other pregnant women and new mamas. Every tuesday I go to Starbucks and meet up with some other ladies, all much bigger bumped than me! I also met a wonderful new friend, Kate and her 8 week old son, Cameron at the new Starbucks in our building. She lives in our complex and was super excited to meet a new friend as well. She came over for lunch this week and I tried to help out by holding Cameron so she could enjoy a meal with two hands. Cameron loved our chaise lounge or as my mom likes to call it, the faining couch. It seems to be a hit with everyone and I was happy to learn that the little ones like it too. I have also started a prenatal yoga routine at a great yoga studio not far from here. The instructor is a warm and lovely woman from the Czech Republic. She is 37 weeks pregnant so our class is quite a sight! I felt like an imposter the first week I went with no bump in sight but I feel more at home now that my belly is proudly poking its way into the world. So this morning Chris and I are both settled in the study on our respective computers trying to get some work done. We are meeting friends for lunch at a great Lebanese place that opened up in JBR (our complex). I am introducing two friends that I hope hit it off. So far I have never made any matches made in heaven but I try.

3 comments:

alison said...

sounds wonderful!

alison said...

hey! don't worry about misusing comment space. the song you're talking about was probably Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. They're really good - the Dap Kings is the band that Amy Winehouse sings with, but they've been around for a while. They're just getting more attention now. hope you enjoy!

Stacey said...

Hi, Just wanted to say we miss you. I'm glad you're feeling better, and I can't wait to see you in August!