Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Paint madness

The apartment is almost painted. The colors don't look anything like I thought they would and the bathrooms have some dodgy parts but I am happy with it overall and it of course cost almost nothing to do. Two really sweet young guys from Bangladesh are painting it. They are here all day, they even nap here in the afternoon. I am excited for it to be done and have my home back. There were people in and out all day today between the paint, the shower and the toilets. I am very much looking forward to this phase of my life being over. Our shipment from the US finally arrives on Thursday, I have no idea where everything will look good but it should cut down on the horrid echoes in this place. It will be so nice to have some comforts from home. I am mainly looking forward to things that were wedding gifts and photos. I think it is a great sign that I have been this comfortable without any memories or sense of home around me. It will be great when this place has some personal, nostalgic touches. I had my bridge game today. I am the only one not menopausal so I am a little bit left out as far as age. Some of the ladies also take the game a little too seriously for my taste though- I hope it mellows out a bit, we have a quiz for the next class (I am not kidding)! I might have found a little temporary part time job which will be nice and I am putting together some proposals for programs to present to some American schools. I am also trying to volunteer for the All for One foundation but I am having trouble having them call me back. I might start looking outside of Dubai for organizations that need virtual help (letter writing etc.) Living here has really spawned feelings of needing to do more with my time than relax and teach the wealthy and privileged. It only takes a couple trips to the mall seeing people valet their Ferraris and other luxury cars head to toe in Fendi and Louis Vuitton to make you feel like you have to make a difference in this world because so many people only care about material things. There has to be more to life than that....

No comments: