Thursday, November 15, 2007

Getting lazy

I have been horrible about writing lately and for no good reason! Things that have happened over the past week: (Sorry for the list format, I can't think in paragraphs at the moment)
1) I have a drivers license and we found a car to buy. All wonderful but it means I will actually have to drive, a task still a little daunting! We are of course still waiting for the bank to call us back about the car loan...hopefully it will be done by next week.
2) I have a residents visa that declares I am a housewife and not allowed to work. Post your comments here, I know they are coming...
3) I have done some more teaching jobs despite the fact I am "not allowed to work"
4) I had a sleepover this week with Becky because her husband was gone too. We went out for sushi, rented a movie and baked toll house cookies in her apartment. Complete bliss...
5) I had my first trip to a Turkish bath, a truly spiritual experience that I hope to treat guests to when they visit. I feel like I have baby skin now.
6) We have Internet and cable now but no TV or furniture.
7) My friend Becky found the fabric part of town and good tailors so I am excited to get moving on curtains and of course clothes that I don't need.
8) Chris is home and gets to stay until Sunday, one extra day which will be nice because we are moving into our apartment tomorrow (I think).
9) I have made some efforts to find meaningful causes to get involved in, more to follow. I just want to be moved in and unpacked before I jump into something.
10) I still haven't picked paint colors for the apartment, big surprise. Indecision is my middle name on that front.
11) We are depressed that it looks like we won't be able to have a dog since they officially outlawed them in our building.
12) I survived my first horrible haircut by Juan, a man with a long slicked back ponytail who wears all black and teases you with a few buttons open on his shirt to reveal his hairy chest. Is it any surprise my haircut was a disaster? I have now retrieved a layer in my hair I spent a year trying to get rid of but it just keeps coming back to me like a boomerang! Oh well, petty problems.
13) Chris is on a new project in Riyadh, the capital and largest city in Saudi Arabia. We are hoping this project is a little less intense in terms of hours from him but we shall see. He had some funny stories this weekend about Saudi. They went to TGIF for dinner. They wondered why it isn't called TGIW since the weekend is Thursday and Friday. He also learned that the malls there have family time to prevent single guys for cruising the malls for women. To get around this inconvience it is rumoured that young boys hang out outside and will pose as a son to create a family for a fee.
I think that sums up this week for the most part. Life is still a lot of running around, trying to get things delivered, installed or set up. We are still waiting for our things so shopping is a bit overwhelming. I am trying to hold off on buying anything until our things come but it is difficult. I tried to grocery shop today but as I stood in the huge hypermarket I got dizzy and overwhelmed when I thought about the fact that I need everything. I bought olive oil, salt and pepper. Good start huh? I have some feta too because I can't ever resist it's creamy richness and the fact that it costs 50 cents for a whole chunk. I think besides things like waxing and taxis it is the only thing that is cheap here!

1 comment:

alison said...

Hi Kirsten (and Chris!)
I've been reading all your entries and it sounds like things have been going pretty well. Great job on the blog, Kirsten; it's so interesting to read about all the differences in lifestyle. Good luck getting moved into the apartment!

-Alison