Sunday, November 18, 2007

Being a good housewife

Today was my first full day in the apartment. We"moved in" on Friday from the hotel. This consisted of trekking by taxi a mile down the road with what seemed like way too much stuff for people who came here with 5 or six bags...It was hard to leave the safe womb like atmosphere of the hotel where any request is just one touch service away (Radisson humor) but once we got here I was so glad to be here, despite not having much furniture. I am all alone right now, Chris just left for Saudi and I hadn't stopped to think about how strange it will be to be in a big, empty apartment all by myself for the first time. I'll be alright though, luckily I don't have a TV or access to Unsolved Mysteries (humor only my family would get). This weekend was great but I didn't see enough of my husband. We did get to go for a nice swim outside of our apartment and walk the beach. We walked all the way to our favorite bar and were excited you could reach there by foot on the beach (no way would it be possible by the streets). So, we can go out for a drink without a taxi. There is a 0 tolerance rule for drinking and driving-any in your system if caught equals jail and immediate deportation end of story. Needless to say we take taxis here for that reason and we don't have a car either... Friday night we went out with some friends to yet another fancy hotel for drinks and dinner but this one had an amazing view of the Burj Al Arab (the sail shaped 7 star or something hotel). At night they do a light show of pretty colors projected on it. We were easily amused. Saturday I organized the apartment, laundry, mopping, putting away clothes and then we went to see a movie with Hanne, our friend from Finland. They have a gold class section of the movie theatre where you can pay 27 dollars for a huge first class airplane like seat and have food served to you at a designated time chosen by you. They also give you blankets and pillows. We did not do that, I am saving it to see Om Shanti Om, an epic (goes without saying really) Bollywood movie that is the talk of the town right now. Today I had nothing except waiting around (toilet repair, dry cleaner pick up, paint quote, water delivery) planned and three people came by for a visit. A friend from Holland, one from the US and one from Saudi Arabia/Singapore/New Zealand. My friend Anisah from from Saudi taught me how to make osso busso which was delicious and made Chris very happy when he came home. Hopefully a picture will be with this but the computer is fussy right now so I will have to try tomorrow I think. Oh, the dry cleaning pick up just came, at 10pm, Oh Dubai!

No comments: