Thursday, November 8, 2007

I love the Radisson but have a love hate relationship with taxis


I do believe I will always feel at home when I see a Radisson from now on. We are still living in a hotel since we are still waiting for our things from the US. It will be another month before we see them but I figure it will be an early Christmas present. I will have a whole new wardrobe! So superficial of me but my clothes are getting a little boring since it has been the same selection since August. There is really nothing new to report except that Chris is home, at work though. We looked at our first car today, big step since the roads still look terrifying to me, more manageable but still intimidating. We are still after that elusive liquor license and my passport. I had to give it over a couple of weeks ago for the visa process and I still don't have it. Obviously without it I can't get a liquor license, cable, Internet or a drivers license. I think by now you can see the pattern. Frustrating indeed but otherwise life floats on very easily here. Tonight is a birthday party of some sort for someone Chris works with. The tradition here seems to be that you invite tons of people out on your birthday and pay for all of them to eat and drink. Luckily I just had a birthday before we got here! Chris's birthday is actually not that far away though...I better start saving my teaching money. I just finally finished a big job yesterday for a university student that I love in Sharjah. It was a HUGE paper on the Enlightenment, a subject I never want to think about again. She is a joy to work with and we spend a lot of time gossiping and sharing cultural tidbits. She has given me lots of insight to the Emirate culture here, how to tell people from different countries apart, about polygamy, what men wear under those long white robes (It's not like the kilt, that's for sure) and other useful information for someone as curious as I am about everything.

No comments: