Friday, April 30, 2010

Community

So it is yet another Friday night and I am waiting for Chris. He returns tonight after being gone almost 2 weeks. He is almost done with this project and we are so relieved, it has not been easy for anyone. One of the things that has helped get me through the past couple of months has been the amazing community of moms here in JBR. As we approach our third year in Dubai I can say it truly feels like home. I am attending a hen night and a baby shower this month and it is these rites of passage that really build friendships and the feeling of home. Tonight I participated in a very sad rite of passage. One of our neighbors lost their 11 month old baby to a tragic choking accident at home. It was a very everyday situation, one that could have happened to anyone and one that every parent fears. While this kind of grief is truly something I hope to never witness again it was a beautiful ceremony that really showed what an amazing community spirit lives here. It was moving to be allowed to grieve with the parents and a relief that we could be there for them in their darkest hour. A big group met on the beach for readings, poems and a candlelight ceremony. At the end we all released balloons and in what seemed like just a moment they were all gone. As I left I really wished Chris were at home (and I still do) but when I opened our door Alessandro greeted me with such glee. I took extra care in each bedtime step tonight, enjoying each moment and cuddle. He picks the bedtime books now, he tries to read them and he gives me a kiss each time I say kiss when reading the book "Mommy's best kisses". Well...what more can I say except goodnight and brush up on first aid if has been a while- a community class was put together this week so we could be proactive as a community to try to prevent future accidents and although it was a small thing it felt like it was something.

No comments: