Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fujairah

Yesterday Chris and I drove to Fujairah to check it out since it was our only unexplored Emirate. The trip there was uneventful. We drove on long stretches of uninhabited desert for a couple of hours until we reached the beautiful and mountainous area. I don't know if I can yet say it is my favorite Emirate but it might be! There were a couple of interesting sights along the way. The first was the Sharjah monument which was a large edifice on top of a small sand dune. The other (and I really wish I had a photo) was a sign at an exit that simply said "old person's home". All this time I wondered where they kept the elderly of the UAE and now I know, somewhere in a stretch of isolated desert between Sharjah and Dubai. Maybe next time we can check it out. We also passed an exit for an antique car museum which is probably also worth a visit since, as far as I know, they went from camels to Mercedes here. I have never seen a car older than a few years but who knows? On the way back from Fujairah, we learned that some people just flash their lights and cruise down the center line of the highway when they want to pass but can't because of oncoming traffic. I am not a fan of that one. We also got caught up in a gang of Harley-Davidson riders somewhere along the stretch of camels and sand. You just never know what you might see here.

1 comment:

Barb Blochowski said...

Dear Chris and Kirsten,
Continuing to enjoy reading about your adventures and everyday happenings as well. Glad that you are feeling better, Kirsten. Happy for you both!
blessings,
Barb Blochowski