Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The blog is moving west

I leave for the US today! I am so excited and a bit nervous for that super long plane ride. I have to wear support hose per the doctors orders- Chris is having fun making fun of them, they are thigh highs but a medical supply store version of sexy stockings. It feels so strange to be going home after so long- I haven't stayed out of the US this long since peace corps days and I have never returned home in a whole new physical state of being- it is just too exciting, like a movie, girl returns home...pregnant. The only thing more exciting will be when we bring our new baby home next Christmas. I can't think of any more Dubai based updates, it has been hot here again, the past couple of days have been real scorchers. I had to go to the market to get pashminas for Lauren's bridesmaids and I really thought I might die it was so hot. It takes me about 30 minutes to cool down again once I get back in the car- definitely a pregnant thing, I always used to be on the cold side...not anymore. I have been meeting lots of new pregnant friends in my area, I go to a weekly coffee gathering with them. Some have started having their babies already which is so exciting. I am so glad our little boy will have so many friends around! Work has been really fascinating the last few weeks, I have learned a lot. I have gotten to research endangered species in the area, the cultures of gulf weddings, green architecture and peak oil theory. I love it when I get to do stuff like that as opposed to silly personal assistant type errands but really it has been a great and flexible job. Chris has been busy, as usual. I am really looking forward to seeing him in vacation mode soon when he joins me at home! I highly suggest checking out this you tube link- I had to research it for work. Queen Rania of Jordan has started a channel on you tube to create a dialogue between people of different of cultures but mainly to break down the stereotypes about Arabs and Muslims. It is really cool.
http://www.youtube.com/user/QueenRania
There are 7 videos on the channel so far (they are all under 3 min) but this one is my favorite so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Vf0YfDUys

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Have a wonderful trip home! I'm shipping out a week from today and will be in Dubai on the 12th. Sadly you won't be there :-( Hope to see you on R&R.